Effective defense of environmental toxic tort claims requires a depth of knowledge of environmental statutes and regulations, substantive tort law, and procedural devices.
HR&T attorneys apply their understanding of environmental statutes and regulations to the history of the site and our understanding of the facts and science relating to the personal injury and/or property damage claims, to develop an effective litigation strategy.
Our attorneys’ extensive experience in this area includes:
- Represented industry (fertilizer plants, petrochemical plants, and other manufacturers) with respect to all types of state and federal regulatory permitting, including particular compliance experience with the Clean Water Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act, and the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System
- Experienced in CERCLA claims, Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act actions, RCRA hazardous waste litigation, and PCB contamination
- Represented Sewerage and Water Board regarding the opposition to and modification of certain Clean Water Act permits
- Defense of manufacturers of asbestos containing products, contractors, ship owners, ship builders and premises defendants in asbestos exposure litigation
- Defense of manufacturers in welding fume manganese exposure cases
- Represented underground fuel tank contractors
- Represented industry with respect to unpermitted toxic releases and the drafting of release remediation plans
- Represented large landowners (such as banks) with respect to the management of properties with substantial potential environmental liabilities
- Represented Airport in RCRA litigation related to the remediation requirements due to jet fuel leakage.
- Represented manufacturers and petrochemical plants in regulatory compliance regarding industrial hygiene and OSHA standards